English vocabulary and translations (See all)
I attempted to persuade him to sign the contract. I tried to explain it would be a great idea.
an attempt: a try
My latest attempt to contact the aliens was a success. I finally did it!
to make an attempt to try
an attempted murder: an attack on a person to try to kill them
UK: I attempted to open the cupboard, but my attempts failed.
US: The Pope was injured in an assassination attempt.
If the audio player isn't working:
- Download: audio.mp3
- "His first attempts were quite successful."
- "Trial runs in towns with high obesity levels have shown that consumers are likely to avoid unhealthy products if they have a picture of an unhealthy body on them. As part of the new regulations, healthier food options will also feature a photo of a slim and sexy person, in an attempt to lure consumers towards these products."
- "Consequently, any attempts to mark my birthday with celebrations will NOT be well received!"
- "The British twins decided to get the group back together last month in a transparent attempt to make more money."
- "On New Year's day, a bear in Kuala Lumpur stole a golf cart and drove it into the aquarium, where it was caught attempting to mate with a two-ton bluefin tuna."
- "Joan Wayne attempted to scare the shark by firing at its dorsal fin, then challenged the shark to a duel, running into the water with pistols drawn."
- "with your attempts at grammar"
- "In an attempt to tackle the obesity epidemic, the British government today announced a new labelling system to be used on food."
- "In an attempt to teach you the value of money, you will receive $300 to last you to the end of the month."
Do you have smart way of remembering 'Attempt'? Share it with us!