English vocabulary and translations (See all)
(a) controversial (subject): (a) polemical, contentious, questionable, debatable (subject)
Euthanasia is a controversial subject. Many people disagree and argue that it's wrong, however, many people also think it's quite ethical.
- "Controversial artist Rebecca Smythe brings her latest works to SFMOMA this weekend."
- "Aside from its famed lines of clothing, elegant runway models and shows, PLP released a number of high-end fragrances over the years including the controversial 'Opiate'."
- "Delavigne Corp, already considered a maverick in the cosmetics industry for its staunch refusal to use animals in the testing of their products (aside from their controversial volunteer monkeys), hopes to promote ecological awareness among its long-time customers as well as take advantage of a new wave of environmental consciousness among consumers, brought to national attention by the recent bestseller 'Global Warming: It's all your fault'."
- "Over the years, dinosaurs, these gigantic lizards which roamed the earth billions of years ago, have become a controversial subject."
- "At least that was the case until last week, when one of the most controversial takeovers in Italian history took place."
- "The company's CEO has attributed this success to a controversial advertising campaign in which customers are hypnotized into buying Delavigne products."
Do you have smart way of remembering 'Controversial'? Share it with us!