English vocabulary and translations (See all)
rather than: instead of, preferably to, contrary to, alternatively to
I'm going to order a pizza rather than cooking tonight.
- "only offer you a mobile phone number, rather than a land line and a permanent address."
- "That's why I propose that rather than company-wide "nap time", we institute a company-wide "laugh time"."
- "Icarus : Just think about it - imagine Philip's raw energy and anger diverted into positive, constructive projects rather than giving him wrinkles!"
- "It's true that Stickypedia is maintained by anonymous volunteers rather than renowned experts, but despite this, it works remarkably well!"
- "Of the many trendy movements gaining popularity within elitist circles, the "local food" movement may have the most momentum. The term describes the growing preference of some consumers to eat only locally or regionally-produced food rather than food which has traveled great distances before arriving on their plate."
- "I think it'd make your life easier too – you'll only deal with one person, rather than the usual cohort of agents, websites and airlines."
- "Icarus : And to think that my father's untimely death could have been avoided if only he'd known how to cope with his stress rather than bottling it up inside and."
- "Icarus : I mean, stress could actually be an asset to this company if we learn how to channel all of our fight or flight hormones, rather than letting them build up and damage our brain cells!"
- "Hannah : In your case that was the exception rather than the rule."
- "I have made a decision, however, and rather than follow in my grandfather's footsteps, and live his dream, I've decided to pursue my own dream. Ladies and gentleman, I've decided to become."
Do you have smart way of remembering 'Rather than'? Share it with us!