English vocabulary and translations (See all)
the roots: the origins, the beginnings; the core, the essence, the cause; the part of a plant that grows below the ground
the root of a problem the cause or origin of a problem
The square root of 4 is 2. When 2 is multiplied by itself the result is 4.
UK: Overspending is the root of your financial problems.
US: I'm researching my family tree because I want to trace my roots.
- "The building is a subtle and humorous allusion to our French roots, and also portrays the company as one that moves forward at a steady pace."
- "He expressed discontent over Mr. Delavigne's French roots, claiming that the French support rogue states and "non-freedom"."
- "Remember Delavigne's French roots and luxury appeal!"
- "Rugby fan : I can't put my finger on it exactly, but the sport itself remains loyal to its gentlemanly roots."
- "Get back to ya roots, man."
Do you have smart way of remembering 'Root'? Share it with us!