English vocabulary and translations (See all our English vocabulary translation)
a Yankee, a Yank: a person from the United States of America; an American from the northern United States
For non-Americans (US), "Yankee" is a nickname for Americans (similar to "Brits", "Frogs", etc). For US Americans, "A Yankee" is a term used to refer to Americans from the northern United States (New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, etc), and was popularized during the American Civil War, where the "Yankeess" fought Southerners from the Confederate States (Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, etc).
- "So you're a Yank are you?"
- "Rupert : Terribly sorry, Mr. Yankee Dollar."
- "Control Tower : This is Yankee Doodle Dandy control."
- "Race: BLOODY YANK (AMERICAN)"
- "Kimberly : Nah, nah, it was a Yank, an American, like you."
- "Yankee Doodle Dandy control."
- "Stephanie : I'm afraid you Yanks are very much at fault."
Do you have smart way of remembering 'Yankee'? Share it with us!