English vocabulary and translations (See all our English vocabulary translation)
Want to improve your English? Try our online English lessons for free.
a Yankee, a Yank: a person from the United States of America; an American from the northern United States
For non-Americans (US), "Yankee" is a nickname for Americans (similar to "Brits", "Frogs", etc). For US Americans, "A Yankee" is a term used to refer to Americans from the northern United States (New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, etc), and was popularized during the American Civil War, where the "Yankeess" fought Southerners from the Confederate States (Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, etc).
- "Rupert : Terribly sorry, Mr. Yankee Dollar."
- "Yankee Doodle Dandy control."
- "Control Tower : This is Yankee Doodle Dandy control."
- "Race: BLOODY YANK (AMERICAN)"
- "Stephanie : I'm afraid you Yanks are very much at fault."
- "Kimberly : Nah, nah, it was a Yank, an American, like you."
- "So you're a Yank are you?"
Still having difficulties with 'Yankee'? Want to improve your English? Try our online English lessons and receive a free level assessment.
Do you have smart way of remembering 'Yankee'? Share it with us!