English vocabulary and translations (See all)
a Yankee, a Yank: a person from the United States of America; an American from the northern United States
For non-Americans (US), "Yankee" is a nickname for Americans (similar to "Brits", "Frogs", etc). For US Americans, "A Yankee" is a term used to refer to Americans from the northern United States (New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, etc), and was popularized during the American Civil War, where the "Yankeess" fought Southerners from the Confederate States (Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, etc).
- "Stephanie : I'm afraid you Yanks are very much at fault."
- "Kimberly : Nah, nah, it was a Yank, an American, like you."
- "Race: BLOODY YANK (AMERICAN)"
- "Rupert : Terribly sorry, Mr. Yankee Dollar."
- "So you're a Yank are you?"
- "Yankee Doodle Dandy control."
- "Control Tower : This is Yankee Doodle Dandy control."
Do you have smart way of remembering 'Yankee'? Share it with us!