to prevent (somebody) from (doing something): empêcher (qq'un) de (faire qq chose)
Note : This construction requires a verb in the ING form (when followed by a verb) :
I'm trying to prevent him from resigning. J'essaie de l'empêcher de démissionner.
My research is on preventing cancer. Je fais des recherches sur la prévention du cancer.
to prevent: éviter, faire obstacle à
UK: Eating fresh fruit is supposed to prevent cancer.
US: My wife prevented me from going to the strip club.
- "- Never deactivate the firewall we have installed for you, even if it prevents you from accessing certain websites (which are, as it happens, not appropriate for the workplace)."
- "The scarf would protect the birds by preventing them from breathing in infected air particles."
- "I personally have numerous allergies which prevent me from smelling properly -"
- "Doctors believe that drinking red wine in moderation prevents cancer, heart disease and other ailments."
- "In order to prevent the transmission of diseases in the workplace, I have put in place a new initiative that will encourage people to wash their hands after using the bathroom. I am reluctant to reveal too much information regarding the protocol as it may compromise its effectiveness."
- "I would have replied earlier, however my accounting obligations prevented me from checking my e-mail until the early afternoon, and then an unfortunate incident occurred during my bathroom break, when my neck tie got caught in the zipper of my pants."
- "The museum staff hopes to discourage criminals from attending the exhibit, and wishes to prevent them from even approaching the venue."
- "It is guaranteed to prevent crime (as long as it's used in combination with several other methods, which I am also researching)."
Pour ne plus oublier la traduction en français de 'Prevent' et progresser en anglais à l'écrit comme à l'oral, découvrez nos cours d'anglais Gymglish !