to owe (sthg) (to sbdy): devoir (quelque chose) (à quelqu'un)
The verb "to owe" is directly followed by an object (or a sum), without a preposition :
Susie owes Philip 50 euros. Susie doit 50 euros à Philip.
This company owes its success to Bruno Delavigne's talent. Cette entreprise doit son succès au talent de Bruno Delavigne.
I owe her my life. Je lui dois la vie.
You owe it to yourself to test drive a few cars before buying one. Tu te dois d'essayer plusieurs voitures avant d'en acheter une.
owing (to the crisis...): dû (à), en raison (de), à cause (de de la crise)
How much is owed to you? Combien est-ce qu'on vous doit?
Owing to their lack of customers, the store went out of business. En raison du manque de client, le magasin a fermé boutique.
I owe you one!: Je vous revaudrai cela, à charge de revanche !
UK: Susie owes Philip 50 euros.
US: This company owes its success to Bruno Delavigne's talent.
- "As I've been reminding you almost every day recently, your client Cosmex Inc. owes us a lot of money, and you know what they say: Money makes the world go round!"
- "I owe a lot of the success of my department stores to him and his perfumes."
- "Bruno, I owe all my success to you."
- "This letter should detail all prior communication that you've had with the client, the outstanding invoices, and the total amount owed to your company."
- "Taxi Driver : This is not at all my problem. You owe me thirty dollars for the ride, and shut the door on your way out."
- "I remind you that the total balance owed by Cosmex Inc. to Delavigne Corporation amounts to one thousand, two hundred and thirteen dollars and eighty cents ($1213.80)."
- "Negative equity is when you owe your bank more than your house is worth."
- "I remind you that your company, Soppy Soaps, owes The Delavigne Corporation a total of $178,921 for this order."
- "Thanks a million Icarus, I really owe you one."
- "Accounts Receivable are letters from people who owe us money – they might include checks, or requests to have payments deferred."
Pour ne plus oublier la traduction en français de 'Owe' et progresser en anglais à l'écrit comme à l'oral, découvrez nos cours d'anglais Gymglish !