the flu: la grippe
Flu is the shortened form of the term influenza, which is less common in modern English.
UK: I think a pigeon gave me bird flu.
US: It's not the bird flu, it's just a cold.
- "Professor Hyppolyte Fabuleux said "Ever since the French flu pandemic of 1873, our nation has worn scarves to protect against the common cold and flu."
- "After watching news reports last week on the outbreak of "fish flu" in Asia, 8-year-old boy Thomas MacKenzie made a bold decision."
- "Although an occurrence of "fish flu" in US waters has yet to be reported, alarmed Americans are taking no chances."
- "Bubbles' tragic isolation is just the latest incident in the growing fear of a possible "fish flu" pandemic."
- "He has a severe case of the flu, which is contagious in its early stages."
- "Is it the swine flu?"
- "Some are stockpiling flu medicine and getting flu shots, but others are taking less conventional precautions."
- "Faced with the threat of a flu pandemic, researchers from Paris have developed a deterrent that could stop the virus from spreading."
Pour ne plus oublier la traduction en français de 'Flu' et progresser en anglais à l'écrit comme à l'oral, découvrez nos cours d'anglais Gymglish !