Tradução & Definição
to prevent (somebody) from (doing something): impedir (alguém) de (fazer algo)
Note: This construction requires a verb in the ING form (when followed by a verb):
I'm trying to prevent him from resigning. Eu estou tentando impedir que ele se demita.
My research is on preventing cancer. Minha pesquisa é sobre a prevenção do câncer.
to prevent: prevenir, evitar, impedir
UK: Eating fresh fruit is supposed to prevent cancer.
US: My wife prevented me from going to the strip club.
- "Doctors believe that drinking red wine in moderation prevents cancer, heart disease and other ailments."
- "It is guaranteed to prevent crime (as long as it's used in combination with several other methods, which I am also researching)."
- "I would have replied earlier, however my accounting obligations prevented me from checking my email until the early afternoon, and then an unfortunate incident occurred during my bathroom break, when my necktie got caught in the zipper of my pants."
- "I personally have numerous allergies which prevent me from smelling properly -"
- "The scarf would protect the birds by preventing them from breathing in infected air particles."
- "The museum staff hopes to discourage criminals from attending the exhibit, and wishes to prevent them from even approaching the venue."
- "- Never deactivate the firewall we have installed for you, even if it prevents you from accessing certain websites (which are, as it happens, not appropriate for the workplace)."
- "In order to prevent the transmission of diseases in the workplace, I have put in place a new initiative that will encourage people to wash their hands after using the bathroom. I am reluctant to reveal too much information regarding the protocol as it may compromise its effectiveness."
Ainda tem dificuldades com 'Prevent' (vocabulário inglês e traduções)? Quer melhorar o seu inglês? Faça o teste de nosso curso de inglês online e receba uma avaliação de nível grátis!