to operate (a machine): faire fonctionner, exploiter, actionner (une machine)
to operate (on somebody's heart): opérer (qqun du cœur)
an operation (medicine, business): une opération (médicale, commerciale)
UK: Do you know how to operate a photocopier?
US: The surgeon operated on her appendix.
- "This looks like a rescue operation, Brent."
- "I'd really like to learn a new language or two, so I could operate more efficiently in, say, the Middle Eastern sector."
- "Operated By: MIRACLE AIRLINES"
- "A co-branding operation seems to be the obvious solution."
- "The only disadvantage is that some workers need to use both of their hands to operate machinery."
- "As a result of the operation, Mr. Connors was physically unable to drive his own car, due to the many bandages covering his eyes, which is why Mr. Marron happened to be at the wheel."
- "Of course, with all this information, the scammers can perform just about any operation they like with the account, including taking all the money out of it."
- "You won't be able to remove your bandages for four to six hours after the operation."
- "I hope to tour your factory during operating hours, however I don't want to disturb the production process!"
Pour ne plus oublier la traduction en français de 'Operate' et progresser en anglais à l'écrit comme à l'oral, découvrez nos cours d'anglais Gymglish !