to promise: promettre
a promise: une promesse
UK: The weather doesn't look very promising for our picnic.
US: I promise to be a good boy.
- "I promised her that I would bring Democracy, her daughter, to a small country... like on vacation."
- "We promise that we will try"
- "It's one of the "Golden Delavigne Promises" you make on your website."
- "(to hold out for) pie in the sky - (to wait for) a reward promised for the future, like a delicious dessert waiting for you in heaven"
- "I promise, no harm will come to you."
- "So bring me your babies, just label them clearly so that I know which one belongs to whom. No one will get hurt, I promise."
- "The Love Boat promises something for everyone."
- "Horatio : At Joan's grave, I promised to hunt "Sharky" across the seven seas."
- "I promise you won't regret your choice."
Pour ne plus oublier la traduction en français de 'Promise' et progresser en anglais à l'écrit comme à l'oral, découvrez nos cours d'anglais Gymglish !