English vocabulary and translations (See all our English vocabulary translation)
Want to improve your English? Try our online English lessons for free.
the authorities: the government, a group of people with official responsibility; the experts
The authorities have declared marshal law in the region. It was a government decision.
The doctors at the Mayo Clinic are the leading authorities on cancer research in the U.S. They are experts in their field.
- "Authorities speculated that the group's chance for survival was "slim to none", then specified that it was closer to .006 percent."
- "But you should know that I don't have the authority to finalize such decisions."
- "Authorities don't yet know who is behind the virus, but they do know the motive: to steal people's money."
- "The authorities have blamed a faulty switch for the catastrophe, which will cost the state five to six million euros."
- "Authorities are currently investigating possible links to notorious perfume magnate Kalvin Krime."
- "Kevin : But, you don't have the authority!"
- "The thing is though, the Spanish authorities are being a bit difficult."
Still having difficulties with 'Authority'? Want to improve your English? Try our online English lessons and receive a free level assessment.
Do you have smart way of remembering 'Authority'? Share it with us!