English vocabulary and translations (See all)
(What do you eat for) breakfast?: (What do you eat as) the first meal of the day?
Breakfast is composed of the words 'break' and 'fast'. The term 'breakfast' literally refers to 'breaking' or ending a 'fast' (a period in which nothing is eaten).
to fast: to eat nothing for a period of time
to break a fast: to eat something after a period of time of eating nothing
- "Perhaps we could meet for breakfast?"
- "- Breakfast is available at a small extra charge (£7)."
- "Tonight we're going to reminisce about some of the moments that have made Funky Friday a nutritious part of your Gymglish breakfast month after month."
- "The next day at work, I went to the cafeteria for a quick breakfast, still thinking about how great it would be to learn French."
- "You have worn funny hats, taken 17 shots of vodka for breakfast, and purchased 73 Russian dolls."
- "Philip : Just as soon as I'm finished spitting this important message: 'Must use toilet immediately, ate burrito for breakfast."
- "I want breakfasts included."
- "Horatio : I want yak for breakfast."
- "What did you have for breakfast yesterday?"
- "and cooking you steaks for breakfast, lunch, and dinner."
Do you have smart way of remembering 'Breakfast'? Share it with us!