English vocabulary and translations (See all our English vocabulary translation)
Want to improve your English? Try our online English lessons for free.
an expense: a cost, something you spend money on
Only business-related meals count as company expenses. Everything else you spend money on you have to pay for yourself.
an expense account an arrangement in which your employer pays for the things you need to buy while doing your job (hotel bills, fuel etc.)
at public expense paid for by the government, the state, the taxpayers
- "Furthermore, the company will be happy to reimburse the travel expenses for your husband and cats to join you the next few weekends until your family moves here permanently."
- "EXPENSES: $887 million"
- "Bruno : The company covers accommodation expenses for new foreign employees."
- "By simply accepting Mrs. Hughes' resignation, you could have spared the company this expense, which would have been greatly appreciated."
- "You e-mailed me Bruno's expenses for this month, but I think you forgot to include the spreadsheet."
- "Subject: Expenses!"
- "Attached: Philip_expenses."
- "Date Expense Description Amount ($) Units Details"
- "Please pay Mr. Bollocks for his time and expenses, and then take the afternoon off."
- "Anyway, I really appreciate the opportunity to pursue this type of unorthodox training at the company's expense, and I heartily recommend to the rest of the staff to follow through and do something similar."
Still having difficulties with 'Expense'? Want to improve your English? Try our online English lessons and receive a free level assessment.
Do you have smart way of remembering 'Expense'? Share it with us!