English vocabulary and translations (See all)
The verb 'to owe' is directly followed by an object (or a sum), without a preposition:
Susie owes Philip 50 dollars. She borrowed the money last week and she still hasn't returned it.
This company owes its success to Bruno Delavigne's talent. Bruno's talent is the main reason for the company's success.
I owe her my life. If she hadn't saved me I wouldn't be alive today.
You owe it to yourself to test drive a few cars before buying one. You know it's the sensible thing to do as you deserve a car that works well.
owing (to the crisis...): due to, because of, as a result of (the crisis)
How much is owed to you? How much money do they have to pay you?
Owing to their lack of customers, the store went out of business. It was due to not having any clients that the business had to close.
I owe you one!: Thanks for your help, I'll do the same for you one day!
UK: Susie owes Philip 50 euros.
US: This company owes its success to Bruno Delavigne's talent.
If the audio player isn't working:
- Download: audio.mp3
- "I owe a lot of the success of my department stores to him and his perfumes."
- "I remind you that the total balance owed by Cosmex Inc. to Delavigne Corporation amounts to one thousand, two hundred and thirteen dollars and eighty cents ($1213.80)."
- "I remind you that your company, Soppy Soaps, owes The Delavigne Corporation a total of $178,921 for this order."
- "Taxi Driver : This is not at all my problem. You owe me thirty dollars for the ride, and shut the door on your way out."
- "Accounts Receivable are letters from people who owe us money – they might include checks, or requests to have payments deferred."
- "Bruno, I owe all my success to you."
- "Thanks a million Icarus, I really owe you one."
- "This letter should detail all prior communication that you've had with the client, the outstanding invoices, and the total amount owed to your company."
- "As I've been reminding you almost every day recently, your client Cosmex Inc. owes us a lot of money, and you know what they say: Money makes the world go round!"
- "Negative equity is when you owe your bank more than your house is worth."
Do you have smart way of remembering 'Owe'? Share it with us!