English vocabulary and translations (See all)
There's a no-smoking policy in the office. There is a rule that forbids, bans smoking in the office.
Our policy is to hire the most qualified individuals. As you have no qualifications, you would have to convince the board to change their recruitment guidelines.
an insurance policy a written contract guaranteeing replacement or money in the case of damage or loss to an insured item
Note that in some other languages 'politics' (general political life) translates the same as policy. Therefore, it is necessary to distinguish between policy, a concrete policy, oriented and applied to a specific aim and politics, which is more related to government and the general orientation of the policies:
The senator's anti-terrorism policy is very controversial. He says that suspected terrorists should be tortured during their interrogation.
The politics of our president are quite right-wing. He wants to make abortion illegal, stop immigration and bring back the death penalty.
company policy: the company or business rules, guidelines, approach
UK: Our company provides insurance policies to cover all risks.
US: The government's new education policy is unpopular.
If the audio player isn't working:
- Download: audio.mp3
- "The record turnover is mainly due to an aggressive discount policy implemented by Delavigne's Head of Sales, Philip Cheeter."
- "In response to your request, however, we cannot mail you a comprehensive listing of all of our fragrance ingredients because it is against company policy."
- "Helpful hints: informal guideline to Delavigne Corp's customer service policy"
- "When you absolutely must fire an employee, it must be for just cause: a clear violation of company policy."
- "I'm sure you've all had one or more of these interviews in the past, but company policy states that I have to give you a brief synopsis."
- "In the meantime, government researchers across Britain are waiting to see the effectiveness of this new policy."
- "Brian : Well it's against company policy, but just this once."
- "I'm sorry, but it's just company policy."
- "If not, just have fun reading the official hiring policy document when it arrives."
Do you have smart way of remembering 'Policy'? Share it with us!