Understanding grammar is key to understanding a language.
German grammar tips with Wunderbla, online German lessons.
To form the superlative:
- With am + the ending ‑sten:
Das Bild ist am schönsten.
This picture is the most beautiful.
- Before a noun: with der/die/das (the) + the ending ‑ste:
Das ist das schönste Bild.
This is the most beautiful picture.
- These are the most important irregular forms to learn:
gern lieber am liebsten
willingly more willingly most willingly (note: these words are mostly used to refer to what we like doing)
gut besser am besten
good better best
hoch höher am höchsten
high higher highest
viel mehr am meisten
a lot more most
- The superlative takes the same endings as a normal adjective. Adjektivdeklination 1
Wir sind auf dem höchsten Berg Deutschlands. (der Berg)
We are on the highest mountain in Germany.
- As in the comparative, a, o and u often take an umlaut:
jung (jünger) (am) jüngsten
young (younger) youngest
Taking your learning further
Still facing difficulties with 'The superlative'? Improve your German with Wunderbla - try our German lessons for free now and receive a free level assessment!
Do you know any tips to avoid making mistakes with 'The superlative'? Share it with us!
Improve your German further and test Wunderbla, online German lessons.