La prononciation de s
French Grammar tips with Frantastique.
Improve your French and test our online French lessons for free.
La prononciation de sThe letter s is pronounced (with an ‘ss’ sound):
• when it’s situated at the start of a word
la soupe soup
• when it’s situated next to a consonant (either before or after)
un enseignant a teacher
une catastrophe a catastrophe
The letter s is pronounced (with a ‘zz’ sound) when it is situated between two vowels.
une rose a rose
le désert the desert
Listen to and repeat the following terms!
baiser to shag/screw, baisser to lower
cousin cousin, coussin cushion
• abasourdi (stunned) et aseptisé (sterilised) are two exceptions.
• generally when the s is situated at the end of the word it is silent, although there are exceptions.
un os a bone, but des os bones
mon fils my son
• The ‘ss’ sound can also be written ss, c, ç or sc.
un ascenseur a lift, an elevator
une licence a permit, a licence
Still having difficulties with 'La prononciation de s'? Want to improve your French? Test our online French lessons and receive a free level assessment!
Do you have any tip to avoid making mistakes with 'La prononciation de s'? Share it with us!
Improve your French further and test Frantastique, online French lessons.