English vocabulary and translations (See all)
to avoid (doing something): to try not to (do something); to not do (something)
Avoid taking the freeway at this hour. There's always bad traffic.
- "Democracy has already been to Kazakhstan, and England is a scary, undeveloped country that we should avoid at all costs."
- "Therefore we'd like you to avoid the following words and expressions (I've explained the more difficult ones for your benefit)"
- "Robot : Murder, torture and genocide should be avoided if possible."
- "So you're saying genocide should be avoided?"
- "In my country we try to avoid direct confrontation."
- "To be avoided."
- "We are hoping this initiative will save time and avoid hurt feelings (mainly my own)."
- "As chief financial officer, I'd like to avoid issuing any profit warnings."
- "Since I'm in a good mood today, I've decided to give you some tips on how to avoid builders from hell, dodgy plumbers, and other construction conmen."
Do you have smart way of remembering 'Avoid'? Share it with us!