English vocabulary and translations (See all)
to avoid (doing something): to try not to (do something); to not do (something)
Avoid taking the freeway at this hour. There's always bad traffic.
- "To be avoided."
- "Since I'm in a good mood today, I've decided to give you some tips on how to avoid builders from hell, dodgy plumbers, and other construction conmen."
- "We are hoping this initiative will save time and avoid hurting feelings (mainly my own)."
- "Democracy has already been to Kazakhstan, and England is a scary, undeveloped country that we should avoid at all costs."
- "In my country we try to avoid direct confrontation."
- "So you're saying genocide should be avoided?"
- "As chief financial officer, I'd like to avoid issuing any profit warnings."
- "Therefore we'd like you to avoid the following words and expressions (I've explained the more difficult ones for your benefit)"
- "Robot : Murder, torture and genocide should be avoided if possible."
Do you have smart way of remembering 'Avoid'? Share it with us!